Town of St Armands Board Meetings
Special Board Meeting
BUDGET WORK SESSION - October 18, 2017
These minutes were approved on November 9, 2016.
A Special Board Meeting of the Town of St. Armand was held on the above date at the Town Hall, Bloomingdale, NY, for the purpose of discussing and planning the 2018 Town Budget.
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:
Town Supervisor Charles Whitson, Jr., Deputy Supervisor D. Joseph Bates, Councilperson Donald Amell, Councilperson Jennifer Fuller, and Councilperson Dean Montroy.
TOWN EMPLOYEES PRESENT:
Accountant Tina Moody, Highway Deputy Superintendent Douglas Snickles, Wastewater Superintendent Stanley Ingison, Town Clerk Barbara Darrah, Town Historian Davina Winemiller, and Town Assessor Donna Bramer.
Notice was posted regarding the date and time of this meeting.
The Town Board members met in the Boardroom at approximately 5:45 pm. A community guest, Brian Goetz, was asked into the Boardroom at approximately 6:00 pm. Brian Goetz departed the Boardroom at approximately 6:15 pm. Supervisor Whitson came out of the Boardroom at 6:30 pm and asked Tina Moody, Donna Bramer, and Barbara Darrah to enter the Boardroom for the purpose of presenting their individual requests for salary increases and stipends.
The Boardroom opened to the remainder of the meeting attendees at 7:05 pm.
Supervisor Whitson asked the Board for a motion to adjourn the Executive Session at 7:08 pm. Deputy Supervisor D. Joseph Bates made the motion to adjourn the Executive Session. Councilperson Donald Amell seconded the motion.
Supervisor Whitson announced the opening of the Regular Budget Work Session at 7:13 pm.
Supervisor Whitson introduced RESOLUTION #33 OF 2017 – INTRODUCING THE TAX CAP OVERRIDE Local Law #1 of 2017 and asked for a Board member to offer the Resolution.
RESOLUTION #33 of 2017 - INTRODCUTION OF PROPOSED LOCAL LAW NO. 1 of 2017 ENTITLED “A LOCAL LAW TO OVERRIDE THE TAX LEVY LIMIT ESTABLISHED IN GENERAL MUNICIPAL LAW ss3-c”
The following Resolution was offered by Councilperson D. Joseph Bates:
BE IT RESOLVED, that the Town of St. Armand Town Board hereby introduces proposed Local Law No. 1 of 2017 entitled “A Local Law To Override the Tax Levy Limit Established in General Municipal Law ss3-c”, reading and providing as follows:
“TOWN OF ST. ARMAND LOCAL LAW NO. 1 of 2017”
A Local Law To Override the Tax Levy Limit Established in General Municipal Law ss3-c.
BE IT ENACTED, by the Town of St. Armand Town Board as follows:
Section 1. Legislative Intent.
It is the intent of this local law to override the limit on the amount of real property taxes that may be levied by the Town of St. Armand pursuant to General Municipal Law ss3-c, and to allow the Town of St. Armand to adopt a budget for the fiscal year 2018 that requires a real property tax levy in excess of “tax levy limit” as defined by General Municipal Law ss3-c.
Section 2. Authority.
This local law is adopted pursuant to subdivision 5 of General Municipal Law ss3-c, which expressly authorized the Town Board to override the tax levy limit by the adoption of a local law approved by vote of sixty percent (60%) of the Town Board.
Section 3. Tax Levy Limit Override – Budget Authorization.
The Town Board of the Town of St. Armand hereby overrides the tax levy limit for the Town of St. Armand for 2018 and authorized the Town of St. Armand, after completing all required procedures for the adoption of a budget, to adopt a budget for 2018 that requires a tax levy that is greater than the tax levy limit calculated for 2018 pursuant to ss3-c of the General Municipal Law.
Section 4. Severability.
If any clause, sentence, paragraph, subdivision, or part of this Loacl Law or the application thereof to any person, firm or corporation, or circumstance, shall be adjusted by any court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unconstitutional, such order or judgement shall not affect, impair, or invalidate the remainder thereof, but shall be confined in its operation to the clause, sentence, paragraph, subdivision, or part of this local law or in its application to the person, individual, form or corporation, or circumstance, directly involved in the controversy in which such judgement or order shall be rendered.
Section 5. Effective Date.
This local law shall take effect immediately upon filing with the Secretary of State.
WHEREAS, by Resolution No. 33 dated October 18, 2017, the Town of St. Armand duly introduces Local Law No. 1 for 2017, entitled “ A Local Law to Override the Tax Levy Limit Established in General Municipal Law ss3-c”; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Town Board of the Town of St. Armand shall hold and conduct a Public Hearing on the foregoing proposed local law on the 9th day of November, 2017, at 5:45 pm to hear any and all persons concerning the adoption of said local law; and
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Town Clerk of the Town of St. Armand will publish a notice of such hearing in the designated Town newspaper at least five days prior to said hearing.
Councilperson Dean Montroy duly seconded this resolution, and adopted by roll call as follows:
Supervisor Charles Whitson, Jr. AYE
Deputy Supervisor D. Joseph Bates AYE
Councilperson Donald Amell AYE
Councilperson Jennifer Fuller AYE
Councilperson Dean Montroy AYE
Discussion ensued regarding the following topics:
• Employee Health Insurance Benefits for Stanley Ingison and Douglas Snickles. The costs of both the Union’s Health Insurance Plan and the Town’s Health Insurance Plan through Excellus were compared. Stanley Ingison stated he did not want to join the Union. Since all of the plan premiums were not available for dental and vision at the time of the meeting, Supervisor Whitson announced that he would call Tish Biesemeyer at Burman Associates on the following day, October 19, 2017, to get the final dollar figure for Stanley Ingison’s and Douglas Snickles’ insurance quotes, in order for them to make a final selection of which insurance plan they were going to join.
• The Board agreed the payments for the new Kubota tractor would be divided by three years, (it is a three-year ban) plus the interest. The amount would be $26,407.00, plus $1545.00 interest for the first year (2018).
• The Town Board approved the Highway purchase of the smaller Kubota sidewalk tractor, due to the large trade in value given for old sidewalk tractor and that the current attachments would fit the new model.
• The Town Board approved the purchase of the smaller lawn tractor for Cy Ellsworth at a cost of $1999.96.
• The Town Board approved the purchase of the plow blade for the 09 Tandem, costing $7,890.00 from Tenco. It was agreed it would be taken out of the equipment fund DA5130.200, which has $25,000.00 available.
• The Town Board approved the purchase of the Gas Sensor calibration kit for $1750.00 for the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
• The Town Board approved the purchase of polymer for the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
• The Town Board approved the list of tools and equipment up to $3500.00 for the Wastewater Treatment Plant, to include a snow blower for clearing snow from the Solar Panel pathways.
• Town Accountant Tina Moody stated that the figures for the B Fund, titled General Town Outside Village Fund, were not included in the budget yet, due to the original sheet being in Macros and she needed to convert it to the current program. Once added, there will be more income showing. Collected sales tax is supposed to be recorded in this revenue fund to reduce property taxes for all St. Armand residents. She also stated she will correct the DA5110.400 account to show $10,000.00, not $1,000 as printed.
• Supervisor Whitson reported the Tax Cap Override will be 1.01%, which entitles us to $7675.71 over last year. Supervisor Whitson also stated everyone received a copy of the Long Term Debt Report for 2018.
• Councilperson Donald Amell stated Brian Goetz approached the Board earlier seeking contributions to the Bloomingdale Boosters program regarding one project.
Supervisor Charles Whitson announced the Board would go into Executive session at 7:45 pm.
Supervisor Whitson asked if there were any other question or concerns. Town Clerk Barbara Darrah stated she would like to address the Board. Supervisor Whitson adjourned the Budget Work Session at 8:45 pm, and opened the floor to the Town Clerk. When the Town Clerk finished speaking, Supervisor Whitson announced the Board would be entering Executive Session. All other attendees departed the Boardroom.
The next scheduled Budget Work Session is Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 at 6:30 pm at the Bloomingdale Town Hall.
I, Barbara J. Darrah, Town Clerk for the Town of St. Armand, do hereby certify that the above is a true and correct transcript of the Special Board meeting minutes held on the above-referenced date.